Guardianships & Conservatorships

Legal Guidance on Conservatorship or Guardianship for a Loved One

There are many reasons why an individual would need to file for a guardianship or conservatorship, such as; an aging relative is showing signs of incapacity, an older individual is having difficulty handling their personal care or finances, or a special needs child is turning 18.

If guardianship or conservatorship is appropriate for your situation, Fahrenholz & Horrell will help you with the process of applying and filing for guardianship or conservatorship with the courts.

The Difference Between Guardianship and Conservatorship

Guardianship and Conservatorship are often thought of as the same thing, but it is essential to know the difference between the two to decide which is best for your specific situation.

A guardian makes health care decisions for the person who needs help (also known as the “ward”). A conservator is someone who handles financial matters. It is necessary to follow the formal legal process to become someone’s guardian or conservator, even if it may seem evident to family or friends that the individual is in need of care.

Support for Families Through the Guardianship and Conservatorship Process

Fahrenholz & Horrell has helped countless families in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia, through these legal proceedings. During this emotional time, we will handle all the legal details so that you can focus on providing care to your loved ones.

Our attorneys are knowledgeable in this area of law and will:

  • Answer any questions you have about guardianship and conservatorship
  • Walk you through the petition and court process
  • Assist you in complying with court orders

How to Apply for a Guardianship or Conservatorship

In order to start the guardianship or conservatorship procedure, you have to file a petition with the proper court. A guardian or conservator can only be assigned if a judge decides the ward is unable to take care of themselves. The process can vary state to state depending on the where you and/or where your loved one lives. The court will also decide the level of control the ward will have after you have been appointed their guardian or conservator.

Fahrenholz & Horrell can answer all your questions regarding guardianship and conservatorship no matter your situation. We can also offer experienced legal support after your court appearance as you begin to manage your loved ones financial and personal affairs.

Contact Us >